Sunday, November 16, 2008

I never thought I would really have to do this...

I can't count the number of times throughout my growing up years I have gone through the exercise of "What would you grab if there was a fire and you had to get out of your house in 10 minutes." But, I guess I never really thought that it would actually hit so close to home.

I don't have tv at my house (we can't afford cable and there is no reception) so the first and only thing I had heard on Friday about any fires was that there was a lot of damage done up in Santa Barbara. Then on Saturday my dad called and he asked me if there was a lot of smoke up near me. There was nothing but blue skies! Little did I know that fires were raging in Orange County.

Because of my proximity to some very dry hills and mountains my dad suggested that I pack up anything that I would want to take with me. At first I didn't think I would do it, but as I was driving home the wind was picking up and helicopters were hovering over the mountains behind my house. I thought maybe a little preparation might be a good idea.

I walked into my room and thought about what I would take. First thing I packed...my hard drive for my computer and all my papers from grad school...they are irreplacable! Second set of things...all my journals (so many memories). At that point I looked around my room and tried to remember which of the pictures I have all over my room are ones I have taken and have saved to my computer and which ones I have gotten from other people and probably can't replace...i grabbed a few that I knew I would never be able to get again. And then began to think...what else? What other pieces of my life are replacable? I almost grabbed my oldest pair of Rainbows (that have traveled the world with me) but decided against it. The last thing I grabbed was my little stuffed lamb that I have had since I was a little girl...that could never be replaced.

At that point I realized how much I had that I really wasn't as attached too as I thought. I can live without 12 pairs of shoes, books, cds, dvds, and furniture. The stuff that matters is the memories....the pieces of the places I have been and the people I love.

Thankfully, as of right now Azusa Canyon remains fireless (and I pray it remains so), but I think I have a little bit of a new perspective on life...the things that matter and the things that really don't.

My prayers are with all the families that have lost their homes, their possions, and some of their priceless memories!

No comments: