Wednesday, February 25, 2009

I always write blogs when I should be doing something else...

Blogging when I busy beyond words is my stress reliever. I find some of my most creative thoughts come about at 1 in the morning when I am so tired I want to curl up and not wake up for the next 12 hours, yet have so much to do that I can't fall asleep because my head is to full of stuff; it is in these moments that inspiration comes (or what I consider inspiration) and I have to get it down on paper. So forgive me if this is a little discombobulated, incoherent, or maybe even an idea that a much wiser person has already thought of...but tonight it hit me...

Our lives are like jokes. (wait for it, wait for it...) hmmm yeah, I didn't like equating my life to a joke either, but here is where my thought process was going. Jokes have punch lines, and if you don't say the punch line at just the right time...well the joke just isn't funny. True?

Well a lot of times I find that I live my life doing what I think I should be doing, going about my merry way -let's say going to grad school for example-and then I get to the part where the punch line is suppossed to come in- like an amazing high paying job after graduation- and well...I am left hanging...no punch line. My first response...God, where ar You? Why didn't you deliver the punch line? Ummm hello, life isn't good without the punchline...right?

Wrong! See the problem is too often we are too busy writing our own jokes (aka lives) and our punchlines (aka outcomes, blessings, dreams, the stuff that happens in movies, you know...the good stuff) and when it doesn't happen we look to God and say...what happen? Why didn't you show up? I told you exactly what to give me! Why aren't you giving it to me? (insert the most annoying little whiny kid you can think of here begging for an ice cream cone on a hot day!)

First of all...God doesn't play on our timing! He plays on His own timing. So we may write the joke and wait for the punchline...but it's not going to come....yet or maybe not at all. God's punchline to our jokes is:
always on time...His time
always good...He never does anything wrong
and always better than the one we wrote ourselves!

So all that to say...right now I am coming to the end of this joke (this part of my life...grad school)...and I had thought I had a pretty good idea what the punchline was (ummm a great job doing exactly what I wanted to do at the exact university I wanted to work at)...but well...I am pretty sure that punchline is not going to be my reality. Instead...I am waiting (not necessarily because I want to but because I need too) for God's punchline.

What does God's punchline look like...well that, I don't know; but, I do know three things...

It will be on time! It will be good! AND it will be better than anything I could have ever imagined or dreamed on my own!


Yep...so that is my creative side (and heart) at 1 in the morning.

2 comments:

Bri said...

Awww... Such creativity. Isn't it funny the things that come out of our minds late at night when we're maxed out? It reminds me of those "Deep Thoughts" we used to do. Hang in there girl. One thing I learned from my Bible study last night is... God is always testing us for an intentional purpose. There IS something coming. Never think there isn't a punchline. He has not forgotten you or left you hanging - you of course know this. There was this quote from last night that I love, "We are always able to trust God with most of what we love, but do we trust God with what we love most?" Love you girl and I PROMISE I will be in touch soon.

KatieG said...

Erin, you rock my world! I'm going to stop buying books from the Christian bookstore and just read your blog :) I love your thoughts and your analogy of our lives as jokes. Love it!!! And you are so right. We always want things they way WE want them and on our time-table. Oh how I have learned this the last few years re: my job. But thank God that time has passed and I'm more comfortable where I am now with what He has provided for me in this time.

I love you and talk to you soon! You rock my world, like I said! I'm so blessed to have you in my life.

XOXO