Thursday, May 22, 2008

The Washer & Dryer Saga



So, I am starting this blog and the first thing I am going to write about is my washer and dryer...how sad is that? Anyway, my hope is that through this blog all the people I know can stay updated about my life as I experience it.

So the saga of the washer and dryer...

Let me preface this by saying that I promise I have done my laundry in the last three weeks (I just had to go to my parents house to do it!)

So four weeks ago we had a note posted on our door by the maintance people of our apartment complex, which is now in the hands of the school I attend (I am going to try and keep their name out of it because I work for them!), that our water was going to be shut off for two days the following week. Inconvient yes, but okay, at least we had some warning. The next day we had another note posted on our door that during a two week period there would be people entering our apartment to do some repairs required by the city. No big deal right? They had come in to do repairs before.

Well, the next Monday morning at 8 am there is a knock at our door. My roommate answered it and a contractor walks into our apartment and begins to tell us about how they need to take the washer and dryer out of our apartment, knock a giant hole in our laundry room wall, rip out all the shelving, and redo a bunch of plumbing. All of this was news to us! He told us that if we wanted to make some phone calls and try to stop the whole process we were free to, so we asked him to wait while we tried to figure out what was going on.

My roommate made some calls and asked very nicely if this could wait about 20 days until we moved out of the apartment (we have to leave because all the undergrad students are going to be living here next year). But, every office she called told us they had no control over the situation and there was nothing we could do about it. So we cleaned all of our cleaning supplies out of the laundry room and moved them to the living room (super convient) and in came the workers! By Monday afternoon we had a 4 foot wide by 3 foot high hole in our wall (we could see the adjacent apartment....thank goodness no one is living there right now) and a washer and dryer out on our balcony.

That night it rained on our washer and dryer. I honestly didn't think much about it...but just wait the rain will defintely come into play later!

So Tuesday and Wednesday we didn't have running water from 8 in the morning until 5 at night and men were in and out of our apartment with all sorts of equipment. The best part was one of my roommates (Monica) was getting ready to leave for the entire summer on a mission trip and she really needed to do some laundry, but she couldn't! By Friday there was still a big hole in our wall, that was nicely covered up by a piece of plywood. Over the weekend no work was done (obviously) so I took home ALL my laundry to my parents and did as much as I could there.

On Monday they re-drywalled the wall. Tuesday when I came home for lunch a man was in my apartment just looking at the laundry room. He promised me they would paint and have it finished by Wednesday. On Wednesday nobody came to work in our apartment. Thursday...nothing. Friday morning, my other roommate Alayna, calls some high up and they promise her our washer and dryer will be installed by that evening. Promises, promises! I came home late Friday night and our washer and dryer were still out on the balcony...go figure!

Monday morning I went to work and by the time I got home the washer and dryer were back in the laundry room!!! I was so excited!!! So I go to put my first load of laundry in and what do you know...there are all sorts of little flowers from the tree that hangs over our balcony inside the washer, the washer and dryer no longer fit correctly in the the laundry room (so the door to the room doesn't open all the way) AND there is now rust inside the washer! So I try and clean it all out. The flowers came out no problem, but the rust...not coming off.


On Tuesday Alayna called somebody and they said it was impossible for rust to be inside our washer and they would come and check it out first thing on Wednesday. Well, it is Wednesday and I haven't seen anyone come or go in my apartment and last time I checked there is still rust in my washer.

So needless to say I haven't been able to do laundry in my own home for 2 1/2 weeks! Ahhhh!!! I hope this story brings all of you a laugh, because seriously the more I think about it the funnier it gets. Maybe by the time I move out...oh in about 7 days...I will finally be able to use the washer and dryer!

No comments: